Suunto Ambit 3 Peak gives you instant connectivity and results with its Bluetooth Connection
I’ve been using the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak for the past 3 months and it took the Suunto Ambit experience to the next level. It gives you instant results with bluetooth connectivity with your mobile device. It’s not only a GPS enabled sports watch, it’s also an activity tracker that gives you real time feedback on calories burned, activity and even current elevation. It also improves on all the different features of the Ambit with a 3D Suunto movie log of your moves. It has a faster and more accurate GPS and heart rate detection. #IAmSuunto
Suunto Ambit 3 Peak
Suunto Ambit 3 Peak Helped me in my journey to my second marathon.
Two and a half years ago, I’ve made the switch to Suunto Ambit 2S and since then it’s my go to running, multisport as well as day to day watch with its casual look and improved GPS functionality I’ve been using the Suunto Ambit 2S both for running and cycling. I’ve also went on to try the Suunto Ambit 2, which is perfect for road, trails and mountaineering with its advance altitude features. I’ve also had the chance to use the Suunto Ambit 2R, which is more run centric among the Ambits. A few months ago, I was able to use the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, which is the latest Ambit in town. The Suunto Ambit 3 Peak uses a bluetooth technology compared to the Ant+ used in previous Ambits.
TBR Dream Marathon using Suunto Ambit 2S (Left), Salomon XTrail using Suunto Ambit 2 (Second to the Left), Alaska World Milk Run using Suunto Ambit 2R (Third to Left) and Condura Skyway Marathon using Suunto Ambit 3 Peak (Right)
You can Instantly Sync your Moves on the Moveslink App on your phone.
One of the biggest changes in the Suunto Ambit 3 is that it uses bluetooth for connectivity. Bluetooth is more compatible with more mobile phones and can immediately sync your workouts to the movelinks app on your phone. Of course, if you use Ant+ on your previous devices then you would also need to upgrade. Fortunately for me, I only need a heart rate monitor, which comes with the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak. Bluetooth has better connectivity than Ant+ and with its mobile synchronization, you can receive message alerts from your phone directly to your watch. The part that I love most about the connectivity is that I can immediately access my workouts after a run on my phone. You can also customize the apps on your watch directly from your phone.
It’s also an Activity Monitor.
I’ve always been high on activity monitors since they let you keep track of the calories you burn based on your movements. The Suunto Ambit 3 also has activity monitor features and summarizes the calories you’ve burned based on your movements. It tells you whether you are inactive, low, moderate, intense or vigorous in your activities or it can give you the calorie equivalent based on your movements. It also comes up with a weekly summary for you to monitor your activities. I was hooked on this feature of the watch as it forced me to move around when I am inactive or have low physical activities. It also shows your recovery time between workouts. It does keep track of all your moves whether your working out or doing your regular day to day routine.
It gives you a real time altitude tracker even when you are not on workout mode.
Among the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak’s feature is having the advanced altimeter and elevation tracking. It shows your real time elevation and the terrain you’ve passed by. You can actually see the jump from a lower terrain to a higher one or you can even see it jump when you shift to a higher floor on your building. The altitude tracker works even when you are not in exercise mode so even if you are just walking a flight of stairs, you’ll notice the climb or descent in the elevation. It also summarize the elevation gains and losses when you use it on exercise mode. The elevation profile above was my climb at Mt. Cabuayo, which shows that I climbed 525 meters of elevation and had only 20 meters of descent on the way to the summit. The picture on the lower right shows the elevation of the climb until the summit.
With the launch of Suunto Ambit 3, the mobile version of the Movescount app was upgraded to include the 3D Suunto Movie recap of your workout. This feature is also available in Suunto Ambit 2, 2R and 2S. This really works well for me as I love documenting my races through my blogs. I get an immediate movie of the route I did and the other race metrics. The above video is the Suunto Movie Recap of the Condura Skyway Marathon.
Compact Heart Rate
Suunto Ambit 3 has a compact and more comfortable bluetooth compatible heart rate.
While I have no issues with the Ant+ heart rate of the Ambit 2 series, I like how comfortable it feels to use a compact heart rate with an even softer strap. With a better connectivity from the bluetooth technology, expect an even more accurate heart rate reading. The good part is that the heart rate monitor is also compatible with other bluetooth devices. I really monitor my heart rate during races as its a way to determine when I can still push or slow down in a race enabling me to go longer.
Suunto Ambit 3 Comes with Enhanced Functionality
Suunto Ambit 3 has enhanced all the functionality of the Ambit.
- GPS detection: In terms of GPS detection, Suunto Ambit family is the fastest compared to the other sports watch I’ve tried. It takes just a few seconds to detect the GPS signal in the area.
- Battery Life: It has a 16 hours battery life with the best GPS Accuracy setting and could last 50 hours with minimal GPS setting. I’ve used this one for a full marathon which I finished in less than 6 hours and the battery was still more than 60% and I even had the night mode on for the whole duration.
- All the metrics you need: It has everything you need to measure from speed, pace, distance, cadence, altitude, temperature, compass and a lot more.
- Navigation: You can track back your route using automatically generated waypoints in the route. I’ve used this a lot especially on trail and it always help me find my way back when I got lost.
- Movescount apps: Aside from the regular features, you can discover more functionality by adding apps which you can add via mobile or movescount. I use the night mode app which sets the light on from 6 pm to 6 am. I also use run walk app too and there are a goldmine of different apps you can apply to the watch.
- Customize your views. You can have several views using the middle button at the side of the watch. You can set different screen displays for your workout depending on which metrics you need. You can You can customize your views directly from your mobile Movescount application.
- Movescount Application. Your workout can now be viewed both using the web and mobile version of Movescount. You can check how your pace went along during the run or how you managed your heart rate and cadence along the distance and a lot more.
- Cadence monitoring via arm sways. Using a fusedpeed technology, cadence is determined based on the arm sways. The arm sways also helps estimate distance when GPS signal is low.
- After three months, there’s still a lot to unlock when it comes to the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak as it’s loaded with features but it really helped me a lot prepare for my marathon.
Suunto Ambit 3 Peak can really give you an edge.
Suunto Ambit 3 Peak can really take you into the next level. With a better connectivity and advanced features, it can really help you perform a lot better in your races. In three months using Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, I’ve broken my personal record for a full marathon by more than 20 minutes and I’m back to my regular fast pace in the shorter distances.