It’s been a full journey for this kids from regional selection camps until they were finally selected to be part of the JrNBA Delegation of the Country. The kids got to witness the NBA Global Games in Shanghai, China Last October 6, 2016.
Jr NBA Presented by Alaska
Alaska has been bringing the JrNBA basketball program for years. It’s a grassroots approached to finding the next basketball superstars both locally and globally. This year the best boys and girls basketball players from Cebu, Baguio and Bacolod overcame the odds to make the final lineup of the JrNBA/JrWNBA Presented by Alaska All-Star teams that will fly on October 6 to Shanghai, China to participate in a once-in-a-lifetime NBA experience.
Boys and girls from the provinces – especially those from Bacolod, Cebu and Baguio – did surprisingly well when ranged beside their counterparts from Manila.
- Cebu City public school students Darliene Ragasajo (14 years old) and Florence Jil Talas (14) led the JrNBA/JrWNBA Female All-Stars.
- Tracy Carl Dadang (14), Fritz Felix Valencia (14) and Harold Alarcon (14) – who were selected in the Cebu Regional Selection Camp – led the members of the Male All-Stars. Valencia travelled all the way from Bacolod City, while Alarcon came from Silay City, Negros Occidental to qualify in the Cebu Regional Selection Camp.
- Riz Ozner Gatus (14) of San Fabian, Pangasinan from the Baguio Regional Selection Camp, also advanced to the Male All-Stars.
- The JrNBA/JrWNBA Davao Regional Selection Camp was also well-represented with 13-year-old Rozie Amatong of Davao City and 14-year-old Aloha Marie Betanio of Malaybalay City, Bukidnon – who travelled all the way to the Davao Regional Selection Camp – making it to the Female All-Stars.
- The fifth member of the Female All-Stars is Ma. Cecilia Quilenderino (14) of Dalig National High School, Antipolo City.
- The other members of the Male All-Stars are Julian Alfonso and Isaiah Miguel Blanco (Alaska Powercamp), Andrei Philip Lechoncito, Jearico Nuñez, Miguel Rey Luis Tan and and Kai Zachary Sotto (Manila Regional Selection Camp). Arayi Ewon was named Coach of the Year Female.
- Elegino Chollo of Davao City was named Coach of the Year Male.
The players were selected in a nationwide search through Regional Selection Camps in Baguio, Cebu, Bacolod, Davao and Makati. The final 10 boys and five girls were named members of the Philippine All-Stars during the National Training Camp at the SM Mall of Asia Arena.
They joined 90 other boys and girls from JrNBA Programs in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam watching the NBA Global Games China 2016 between the Houston Rockets and the New Orleans Pelicans at the Mercedes-Benz Arena.
“I’d like to congratulate our JrNBA Philippine All-Stars on their success. Through Alaska Milk’s Nutrition. Action. Champion. Program and our partnership with the NBA, we have been able to help fuel the basketball dreams and life aspirations of thousands of children across the country,” said Alaska Milk Corporation President and Chief Executive Officer Wilfred Steven Uytengsu. “This collaboration is an important element of our long-standing Nutrition. Action. Champion. Campaign. By leveraging on this initiative, Alaska Milk was able to proactively educate families and children on the important role of drinking milk and getting into sports to achieve a healthy and active lifestyle.”
JrNBA/JrWNBA Presented by Alaska promotes the importance of regular physical activity, trains participants in the fundamentals of basketball and teaches the importance of core values, including sportsmanship, teamwork, a positive attitude and respect.
The JrNBA Program is presented by Royal Friesland Campina in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam through its Alaska Milk, Frisian Flag, Dutch Lady and Foremost brands and conducted in Singapore through partnership with Sport Singapore. This program has touched the lives of more than 1.5 million children, parents and coaches across Southeast Asia by conducting camps, clinics, and NBA Cares community outreach activities.
For more information visit Alaska Milk’s sports channel www.playph.com and like @PlayPH in Facebook and Instagram for inspiring stories on Filipino sports fans of all ages and skill levels. Fans can also visit the official website at www.jrnba.asia for more information on the JrNBA programs. “Friend” the NBA’s official account on LINE by adding @nba_global. Follow the NBA on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nba and Twitter at @NBA for all the latest news and updates. For all things NBA, visit www.nba.com.