We’re living in fast times. Our days are filled with deadlines, surprises and a lot of things to prioritize. What’s worst is that with the volume we have to deal with, we end up doing extra work after office hours. We still end up with our chores in our respective families and the time we spend with group of friends. At times, all these takes its toll on our body and it may start as a nagging headache, increased irritability and you end up being less productive not knowing what to do.
This may be a sign of chronic stress. While we probably are used to eating STRESS for breakfast, lunch and dinner, chronic stress is a more persistent one and stays for prolonged period of time. Your body is already sending out a cry of help. According to the American Psychological Association, stress is defined as a feeling of being overwhelmed, worried or run-down from unpleasant events. Leaving chronic stress unattended may leave both physical and mental consequence to our health and some of them include the following:
- Changes in your brain: Previous imaging and postmortem studies have reported a lower brain volume and a smaller size and density of neurons in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (dlPFC) of subjects with major depressive disorder (MDD)1.
- Increased risk of heart attack: St. Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute revealed that those suffering from chronic stress are at greater risk of developing heart problems. Stress is also linked with a 42 percent higher risk of dying two years after a heart attack2.
- Depression: Some stress can keep you motivated and alert, although researchers from the US National Institute on Mental Health found that chronic stress could lead to depression in sensitive people3.
So how do you help your body cope with stress and improve your health? “Well, the road to good health starts with a positive mindset and the determination to make better life choices,” notes Dian Yu, Product Manager of Enercal Plus, an adult nutritional supplement made by Wyeth.
The following are some of the things you can start off with:
- Do your lifts and push-ups. Or at the very least, make sure that you have some form of physical activity or exercise. An ideal time frame is 30 minutes, for at least three times in a week.
- Reduce your caffeine and sugar intake. We know that nothing beats a sugar or caffeine rush; but be mindful of the fact that the “highs” that they provide often end with a sudden crash in mood and energy.
- Say no to drugs, alcohol and cigarettes. All these may provide an easy escape from stressors; but the respite they give is at best, temporary and at its worst, ultimately debilitating. Always remember that it’s always best to deal with everyday life with a clear mind.
- Eat healthy! Start the day right by eating breakfast (don’t skip it!) and keep your energy up throughout the day by eating nutritious meals. Remember that the key word to eating healthy is “balance” – too much or too little of anything can be bad for your health. Drink a glass of Enercal Plus to help make sure that you get the nutrition that your body needs.
Managing it may be as simple as doing exercise, proper diet, avoid vices and Enercal Plus. Enercal Plus, a product developed by Wyeth Nutrition Philippines, contains Nutri-Life Plus, which is a balanced source of 28 essential nutrients for immunity, strength, and heart health. It contains whey and soy protein that is a good source of amino acids needed by the body, which is easily absorbed to support muscle synthesis. Enercal Plus also contains vitamins A, C, and E to support the immune system, calcium and vitamin D for bone strength, and has 0g transfat for a healthy heart.
So listen to your body and do not ignore its cry for help! Start on ways to improve your health right now!
For more details, photos & updates, visit facebook.com/EnercalPlusPH
EnerCal Plus is brought to you by Wyeth Nutrition
Wyeth Nutrition, formerly Pfizer Nutrition, is part of Nestlé S.A. Wyeth Nutrition develops premium-quality nutritional products scientifically designed to meet the needs of infants and young children, as well as pregnant and lactating mothers. As pioneers in infant nutritional science, our mission is to provide the best nutritional support for future healthy outcomes. For nearly a century, Wyeth Nutrition has leveraged clinical rigor, scientific research, world-class manufacturing and product safety standards to drive scientifically sound solutions that offer parents confidence, help nourish children and support their healthy futures.